Thursday, June 10, 2010

A sense of humor can go a long way - or not

Sorry about the cheshire grin, folks. I have finally done it. I have sent out nine queries today. One was rejectified with lightening speed: It came smelling of fried neutrons it was so fast. I wonder if the amusing bio I put at the bottom had anything to do with it:

At the moment, I have no publishing credentials, but I am one of the few people living in the San Francisco Bay Area that was born here. I am already a statistical anomaly. Currently, I answer phones and perform feats of customer service and graphic artistry for a plumbing company. Believe it or not, this was never my childhood dream. I am willing to leave this all behind, or at least do it only part time, if I should ever have the luck to become a full time writer.


Yes. That was the bio I sent. And I'm not ashamed. Not even a little bit. I can't help it. I'm one of those people that spews out something (according to me) amusing whenever I get the chance. I reined it in most of the day, but I got a little loopy there at the end. Believe me, I kept it straight and narrow to all the agents who said things like: "We don't like it when you try and be cute, Shakespeare! Just get to the point!" But it was tough. I've got fingernail marks on my office chair. I'll let you know the horrific details as they become available.

8 comments:

  1. :D Luck Bettie, and you're going to want an Agent that get's you and works well with your personality so it's good that you were yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best advice I had on my bio was said by my friend. She said to say who you are because they are going to find out anyways if they represent you and then you'll have to work together.

    Good luck with your queries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure some AWers would cry if they saw the query that got me my publisher. I'm a "tell it like it is & be yourself" as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the queries. Isn't your bio an example of "your voice"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the support guys. I would say the bio is an example of my smartassness - my voice is pretty straightforward. Well... I guess my characters (some of them) talk like me. Maybe. But it is fantasy, not humor. But that is what you will have to put up with if you want to deal with me!

    and I'm at 2 rejects. Yay me. hey, at least I finally queried. And I queried like a fuckin' rockstar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually have had better luck just being myself in queries. You go on with your bad self!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. There's an award for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marguerite - ay! too true

    Aubrie: I'm going to look... :)

    ReplyDelete