Saturday, January 12, 2013

Obligatory List of Books Read for 2012




Hello Fearless Readers! It's been awhile since my last blog post. I owe you the obligatory "List of Books I read last year." The list is below, and she is mighty. This is the largest number of books I have probably EVAR read in a single year (108 - but who's counting?), except for during school years, when I had daily access to a library 9 months out of the year (pre-High School - when yes, there was a library, but in California, the library is a good place to get beat up.) As usual, there were many re-reads, and those are in grey. I'm proud to have listed some that I only read in beta form. :) I was unsure at first if I should just call them "beta" - but I ended up putting "beta" for the ones that are (so far) unpublished.

As usual, I look through this list, and I can't even remember reading some of them. Hopefully, that won't happen so often, now that I'm keeping a book journal. And even if I do forget a book, I can go back in and look it up in the journal! It's fun to look over the list and remember the ones that really touched me. The ones I had to close and then think about. The ones that made me snap the book shut and then shake my fist at the heavens, wishing I could have the NEXT ONE ALREADY! The ones I wish I would have quit before the end. I did quit on two books this year... but there are a few on this list that shouldn't be here... (I did not list the DNF's, as I do not wish to embarrass anyone living or dead.) 

Over the next few days I'll be blogging about a couple of challenges I plan on doing this year. I felt the need to challenge myself beyond the four novels I am editing and the one I am still writing. Yeah. :) So now, for the list: 

  1. Let the Right One In - John Lingqvist
  2. Carmilla - Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
  3. Lady Audley’s Secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon
  4. The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
  5. The House on the Borderland - William Hope Hodgson
  6. A Dark Night’s Work - Elizabeth Gaskell
  7. Varney the Vampire - James Malcom Rymer
  8. Don’t Shoot the Messenger - Regan Summers
  9. -beta read for someone-
  10. Allison Hewett’s Trapped - Madelaine Roux
  11. The Scarlett Plague - Jack London
  12. Banshee Charmer - Tiffany Allee
  13. Viking Sacrifice - Julia Knight
  14. The Prestige - Christopher Priest
  15. The Wilder Life - Wendy McClure
  16.  On the banks of Plum Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  17.  By the Shores of Silver Lake - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  18.  The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  19.  Little Town on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  20.  These Happy Golden Years - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  21.  Blackout - Connie Willis
  22.  The Greater Inclination - Edith Wharton
  23.  A Local Habitation - Seanan McGuire
  24.  An Artificial Night - Seanan McGuire
  25.  Snowflower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See
  26.  Devil’s Kiss - Zoe Archer
  27.  Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
  28.  White Horse - Alex Adams
  29.  Late Eclipses - Seanan McGuire
  30.  One Salt Sea - Seanan McGuire
  31.  Changeless - Gail Carriger
  32.  Blameless - Gail Carriger
  33.  Soulless - Gail Carriger
  34.  Heartless - Gail Carriger
  35.  All Clear - Connie Willis
  36.  Grange House - Sarah Blake
  37.  Return to Neverend - JM Sloderbeck
  38.  Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
  39.  Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
  40.  Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
  41.  Dustin Time - June Kramin
  42.  Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
  43.  Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol
  44.  Alice Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carrol
  45.  Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
  46.  Unholy Ghosts - Stacia Kane
  47.  Hunters Find - June Kramin
  48.  Hunger Games...again
  49.  Thornyhold - Mary Stewart
  50.  9 Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart
  51.  Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
  52.  Beta - no can tell you! Unpublished secret business
  53.  Unholy Magic -Stacia Kane
  54.  City of Ghosts - Stacia Kane
  55.  Home - Stacia Kane
  56.  Hell House - Richard Matheson
  57.  I am Legend - Richard Matheson
  58.  The Haunting of Hill House- Shirley Jackson
  59.  Monday or Tuesday - Virginia Wolf
  60.  Color Out of Space - HP Lovecraft
  61.  Dreaming in the Witch House- HP Lovecraft
  62.  Running in the Dark - Regan Summers
  63.  The 13th Tale- Diane Setterfield
  64.  To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  65.  The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole
  66. The House of the Vampire - George Vierck
  67.  The Familiar - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
  68.  This Book Does Not Exist - Mike Scheider
  69.  The Gunslinger - Stephen King
  70.  Drawing of the Three - Stephen King
  71. The Waste Lands - Stephen King
  72.  Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
  73. Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King
  74.  Wolves of the Calla - Stephen King
  75.  Song of Susanna - Stephen King
  76.  Dark Tower - Stephen King
  77.  Dog Of War - Heathor Gregson
  78.  Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi
  79.  Succubus Lost - Tiffany Allee
  80.  Blades of the Rose - Zoe Archer
  81.  19 Dragons - SM Reine
  82.  Phoenix Rising - Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris
  83.  Haunting Violet - Alexandra Harvey
  84.  Vicious Circle - Mike Carey
  85.  Venetia - Georgette Heyer
  86.  Once Prey - Twice Forsaken - Tiffany Allee
  87.  Quiet Gentleman - Georgette Heyer
  88.  Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer
  89.  Frederica - Georgette Heyer
  90.  Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer
  91.  A Lady of Quality - Georgette Heyer
  92.  The Gamester - Elizabeth Chater
  93.  A Place for Alfreda - Elizabeth Chater 
  94.  Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
  95.  Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  96.  Emma - Jane Austen
  97.  Persuasion
  98.  The Red Necklace - Sally Gardner
  99.  Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
  100.  Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
  101.  Vixen - Mary Elizabeth Braddon
  102.  Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
  103.  Cell - Stephen King
  104.  Nachsturm Castle - Emily CA Snyder
  105.  Dragonwyck - Anya Seton
  106.  Romance of the Forest - Anne Radcliffe
  107.  We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Schriver
  108.  The Bride of Lannermoor - Sir Walter Scott

2 comments:

  1. Look at all that Stephen King! Ah, I went through a King period hardcore when I was 16, and sometimes I want to reread everything, but especially the Dark Tower series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally read the Dark Tower at least once a year, also love The Talisman and Black House! :)

    ReplyDelete