Sunday, May 20, 2012

Post Query Edit



Yesterday was a good day. I edited 13k, and it's amazing how easily the changes are slipping into place. This edit is a lot more intense than the last. I feel like I'm nailing the voice, and my characters all have sharper focus. It's the miracle of story. They really are found things - it's all there, you just have to get it out using the right tools. (This belief is via The Master, Stephen King, who first turned me on to it. The story is there, you just have to dig it out of the ground without breaking it.)


But that was yesterday. Today is my one month anniversary in my new apartment. In that time, I've edited two books and written two-sort-of queries. (That's very big for me - I am terrible at them, just the thought of writing one gives me the dry heaves.) I'm even getting hopeful that I can write a new novel in November, instead of just editing an old one. I love NaNoWriMo. I'd hate to sit it out because I didn't do my homework. And I'd actually have to decide which story to write - I have a couple three ideas bouncing around in the ol' noggin. This means I have 5 months to finish editing these four books, write their queries and synopsissisis, search for the right agents for the various works, and get them out in the world. Then I get to play with the other kids.Yay!


It's great what the change of environment has done for both my sleeping and my writing. I'm sure the two are related - it's hard to stay focused and motivated when you're half zombie. I've also become a morning person! It's crazy. Another thing living here has taught me - ducks do not live the gentle lives you might believe. In-fighting, territorial disputes, swimming against the current... that and more. All kinds of things go down in the pond, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment