Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cross My Heart and Hope To Write



Tomorrow, we get back to work, tightening the corset strings! I went pretty easy on myself this last week. I have GOT to limit the distractions. I keep petting the kitten that is the internet. I keep saying "I'm just gonna check Twitter for a sec" or "I'm just gonna do an 'amediting' tweet" and then, an hour later, I'm still there!

No distractions. Not even the radio. Nothing to get in the way of the voice. You know, the one you read with. The one you push in the closet when it tells you things like "No one else is going to write this story, you know." Or "Chuck Wendig says you have to finish your shit. I'm pretty sure that means editing your shit." Or "There is a lot of fat in cheese." Sometimes, I hate that voice. 

However, the damn thing is always right. No one else is going to edit or write my stories. And I can't write any more of them unless I finish (ie: edit) the ones that need editing. And clearly, I am not adult enough to have the keys to the internet. I've tried to limit myself a little, but a little limitation doesn't appear to be enough.

So says the voice.

5 comments:

  1. Be careful about being too hard on yourself. Seems like you're making forward progress, and you can't work every hour that you're awake. Take it from someone who has tried to force it, sometimes there's only so much you can do in a day, and only so many days in a row you can go at full speed without a break. *hugs*

    That being said, the Internet is really shiny...which is why I heart Mac Freedom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I know how that feels. "I'm just going to pop over to Absolute Write. Oh, I should check Facebook."

    But I have to get my butt in gear and finish polishing the sequel for the book I have coming out in February... and writing the third book in the series... and considering the fourth and fifth ones.

    It'd be nice to get at least something done before the baby is born, and my writing time becomes nonexistent. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffs: you are totally right. I am only "making" myself work 1-1/2 hours a day. I can do that. Totally. And still watch movies and read. But I have to do it every day, not this work 4 hours two days a week. I hate doing that.

    Wow, Wendy, that is a lot. And the little one will take a lot of time when he/she gets here.

    Courage, my friends...and persistance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the internet. She is an evil temptress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't she just? Damn her. :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete